Adam Farra represents businesses, governments, institutional investors, and individuals harmed by anti-competitive business practices, fraud, and negligence. He has litigated cases under the federal securities laws, the federal antitrust laws, the federal anti-racketeering laws (“RICO”), and other federal and state laws. He has experience litigating class actions and individual actions, including “opt-outs.”
After law school, Adam clerked for Judge Andre M. Davis of the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit and Judge Peter J. Messitte of the United States District Court for the District of Maryland.
- Representing a State in a case against major drug manufacturers, distributors, and pharmacies for the alleged over-distribution and deceptive marketing of prescription opioids.
- Successfully argued before a federal appeals court that federal prison officials violated the Eighth Amendment’s prohibition on cruel and unusual punishment when they denied his client, a former inmate, certain medical care.
- Successfully argued before a federal appeals court that a federal inmate’s complaint alleging violation of the Mandatory Victims Restitution Act and the separation of powers should not have been thrown out on jurisdictional grounds.
- Representing a major manufacturer of building products in a case against its insurance companies after they unlawfully denied coverage for defense and remediation costs arising from several environmental sites around the country.
- Represented two public pension funds in a class action against 11 Wall Street banks that are alleged to have colluded with one another to crush competition in the trillion-dollar market for interest rate swaps.
- Represented two hedge funds in a class action against a major accounting firm for its alleged fraud and negligence arising out of one of the largest Ponzi schemes in U.S. history. The case settled for $27.5 million.
- 2011 – J.D., University of Maryland School of Law
- Magna cum laude
- Order of the Coif
- Maryland Law Review
- 2008 – B.A., University of Michigan
- District of Columbia
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
Professional Affiliations and Honors
- Capital Pro Bono Honor Roll, High Honors, 2020
- Junior Board, Washington Performing Arts
- Adjunct Professor, University of Maryland School of Law