Kami Quinn has broad experience recovering insurance proceeds for mass tort liability, directors and officers liability, financial fraud, and property damage and business interruption in complex, multi-party disputes. Kami also has advised many clients with respect to strategies for insurance recovery in asbestos-related bankruptcies.
Kami emphasizes the early evaluation and quantification of litigation risk and consensual resolutions whenever possible. She is adept at working with underlying products liability counsel, consultants, and in-house lawyers and non-lawyers alike to achieve a streamlined approach to resolving her clients’ issues, including making full use of available technology. As a result, Kami is typically able to resolve cases without unnecessary litigation expense. Indeed, in many of her cases, insurers have been persuaded to rescind coverage denials or resolve coverage claims without the need for expensive litigation.
Kami also regularly advises clients regarding their insurance position before disputes arise. She regularly evaluates complex insurance portfolios to assist clients in avoiding future disputes with carriers, obtain the best wording available at an appropriate price, and to ensure that any coverage is consistent with the client’s understanding of the risk transferred. Kami also provides advice and counseling to a number of clients (typically potential transferors or transferees of insurance coverage) seeking to value disputed or potentially disputed insurance assets.
- Secured many hundreds of millions of dollars through settlement with insurance companies on behalf of various mass tort defendant companies.
- Counsels numerous asbestos creditor committees in bankruptcy cases with respect to negotiating plans of reorganization and securing CGL insurance coverage.
- Secured hundreds of millions of dollars through settlement with various insurance companies on behalf of bankruptcy trusts created for the benefit of personal injury claimants.
- Advised the successor to a Fortune 500 company concerning its global strategy for insurance recovery and litigation of certain insurer disputes.
- Advised and counseled a food products company concerning business interruption and property damage coverage available in connection with the recall of potentially contaminated products.
- 2000 — J.D., University of Chicago Law School
- 1996 — B.A., Drake University
- District of Columbia
Professional Affiliations and Honors
- FAIR Girls, Inc., Chair of the Board
- Legal Aid Board, Member
- Insurance Subcommittee of the ABA Business Bankruptcy Committee, Vice-Chair
- Washington, DC Super Lawyers, 2013-2018
- Best Lawyers in America, Insurance Law, 2019