Daniel Wolf litigates in both state and federal court on behalf of policyholders seeking recovery under directors and officers, professional liability, fiduciary liability, commercial general liability, title, and other lines of insurance. Daniel also advises clients regarding risk management and insurance recovery strategies that extend beyond litigation. Daniel’s practice includes representation of corporations, individuals, and post-bankruptcy trusts. Prior to joining Gilbert LLP, Daniel litigated securities fraud class actions and shareholder derivative lawsuits at a law firm in New York.
Daniel also maintains an active pro bono practice. Recent pro bono matters include representing clients in D.C.’s housing courts, co-authoring amicus curiae briefs for the U.S. Supreme Court and other appellate courts, and advising non-profit organizations regarding their insurance coverage needs. In 2019, Daniel received the Making Justice Real Pro Bono Award for outstanding pro bono service from the Legal Aid Society of the District of Columbia.
- Securing D&O coverage for costs to defend and resolve subpoenas, investigations, and actions by government agencies (such as the SEC, DOJ, and NYDFS) on behalf of various clients (including an investment firm, a regulatory consulting firm, and individual directors and officers).
- Representing pharmaceutical company in securing insurance coverage from numerous insurers for a wide variety of claims, including ERISA and securities class actions, derivative claims, and FCPA investigations.
- Securing over $40 million from professional liability insurers to fund post-bankruptcy trust’s payment of bodily-injury claims.
- Defending pro bono client against subrogation action brought by automobile insurer, and litigating through the start of trial in order to obtain favorable settlement.
- Obtaining confirmation of bankruptcy plan under which insurers paid over $20 million in conjunction with the resolution of debtor’s mass-tort liabilities.
- 2010 – J.D., Columbia University School of Law
- Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar
- Columbia Business Law Review
- 2005 – B.A., Columbia University, Columbia College
- District of Columbia
- New York
- Southern District of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
Professional Affiliations and Honors
- Capital Pro Bono Honor Roll, 2014-2020
- Legal Aid Society of the District of Columbia, Making Justice Real Pro Bono Award, 2019
- Board Member, The Washington Legal Clinic for the Homeless
- Selected as a Washington, DC Rising Star (Super Lawyers), 2020-2021
- Best Lawyers in America Ones to Watch, Insurance Law, 2021
- Selected as a Go-To Thought Leader, National Law Review, 2020