Kami Quinn has broad experience recovering insurance proceeds for mass tort liability, directors and officers liability, financial fraud and property damage and business interruption in complex, multi-party disputes. Kami also has advised many clients with respect to strategies for insurance recovery in mass tort bankruptcies.
Kami emphasizes the early evaluation and quantification of litigation risk and consensual resolutions whenever possible. She is adept at working with underlying products liability counsel, consultants and in-house lawyers and non-lawyers alike to achieve a streamlined approach to resolving her clients’ issues, including making full use of available technology. Kami aggressively pursues every avenue to achieve her clients’ recovery goals, but with an eye always toward efficient resolution. As a result, Kami is typically able to resolve cases without unnecessary litigation expense.
Kami also regularly advises clients regarding the complicated intersection of bankruptcy and insurance recovery to formulate or support plans of reorganization that preserve and maximize insurance recoveries for mass tort claimants and to overcome or resolve insurance-related objections to plans. She further advises mass tort claimants and their counsel with respect to recovering directly from the insurers of insolvent, defunct or otherwise non-operating companies. Kami provides advice and counseling to a number of clients (typically potential transferors or transferees of insurance coverage) seeking to value disputed or potentially disputed insurance assets.
Kami also works on behalf of various governmental creditors in opioid-related bankruptcies, including Insys and Purdue.
- Secured many hundreds of millions of dollars through settlement with insurance companies on behalf of various mass tort defendant companies.
- Counsels numerous asbestos and non-asbestos creditor committees and future claimants representatives in bankruptcy cases with respect to negotiating plans of reorganization and securing and maximizing CGL insurance coverage.
- Secured hundreds of millions of dollars through settlement with various insurance companies on behalf of bankruptcy trusts created for the benefit of personal injury claimants.
- Advised the successor to a Fortune 500 company concerning its global strategy for insurance recovery and litigation of certain insurer disputes.
- Advised and counseled a food products company concerning business interruption and property damage coverage available in connection with the recall of potentially contaminated products.
- 2000 — J.D., University of Chicago Law School
- 1996 — B.A., Drake University
- District of Columbia
Professional Affiliations and Honors
- FAIR Girls, Inc., Chair of the Board
- Insurance Subcommittee of the ABA Business Bankruptcy Committee, Vice-Chair
- Legal Aid Society of the District of Columbia Board, Former Member
- Washington, DC Super Lawyers, 2013-2019
- Best Lawyers in America, Insurance Law, 2019-2020