Richard Shore focuses on developing and implementing creative solutions to help clients overcome company-threatening or otherwise overwhelming losses and liabilities. His work involves strategic advice, counseling, alternative dispute resolution, complex multi-party settlement negotiations, litigation management, and appellate matters.
Richard has represented a broad range of clients and has helped clients recover billions of dollars in disputed claims. He has experience in virtually every major area of insurance coverage and many specialty areas as well. He has been retained as an expert witness on insurance matters and has testified in support of numerous insurance settlements. He has advised clients facing significant liabilities on global strategies for dealing with these problems.
Richard has developed an engaging dispute settlement seminar that draws on Hollywood films and New Yorker cartoons to illustrate successful negotiating techniques. He has been quoted on insurance matters by media outlets including USA TODAY, CNNMoney.com, and Business Insurance magazine. He has written articles on insurance and ADR issues that have appeared in a variety of print and electronic publications, including Forbes.com.
- Settlement counsel for Fortune 500 electric power company regarding claims against its insurers for multi-billion-dollar coal-ash environmental liabilities.
- Helped lead firm’s representation of states and Indian tribes in their pursuit of claims against the opioid manufacturers, distributors, and pharmacy retailers for their roles in creating and fueling the nationwide opioid crisis.
- Secured tens of millions of dollars in settlements of clients claims against insurers for alleged environmental liabilities.
- Prevailed in two appeals of federal district court rulings in a legal fee dispute.
- Secured largest settlement ever against state insurance guaranty fund.
- Secured hundreds of millions of dollars in disputed insurance proceeds on behalf of several asbestos insulation contracting companies.
- In a pro bono matter, secured a substantial six-figure settlement for a client who was harmed by a case worker in an outpatient drug treatment program.
- 1987–1988 — Keio University, Tokyo, Japan
- Monbusho Fellow
- 1987 — J.D., Columbia University Law School
- Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar
- 1984 — B.A. (economics), University of Maryland
- Phi Beta Kappa (scholastic)
- Omicron Delta Kappa (leadership)
- District of Columbia
- New York
- Cherokee Nation
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth and Ninth Circuits
Professional Affiliations and Honors
- Washington, DC Super Lawyer, 2013-2019
- Recognized by bankruptcy judge for exceptional service to client and court in resolving chapter 11 reorganization case
- Board Member, American Friends of Hebrew University, Mid-Atlantic Region
- Outside General Counsel, Swann Foundation for Music Education
- Board Member, Eruv Committee for Bethesda, Maryland
- Former Director, Reneo Consulting LLC (strategic consulting firm)
- Former Board Member, The China Fund, Inc.