Founding partner Richard Shore focuses on developing and implementing creative solutions to help clients overcome company-threatening or otherwise overwhelming losses and liabilities. His work involves strategic advice, litigation, appellate work, alternative dispute resolution, and complex, multi-party settlement negotiations.
Richard has represented a broad range of clients and has helped clients recover billions of dollars in disputed claims. He has experience in virtually every major area of insurance coverage and many specialty areas as well. He has been retained as an expert witness on insurance matters and has testified in support of numerous insurance settlements. He has advised clients facing significant liabilities on global strategies for dealing with these problems.
Richard has developed an engaging dispute settlement seminar that draws on Hollywood films and New Yorker cartoons to illustrate successful negotiating techniques. He has been quoted on insurance matters by media outlets including USA TODAY, CNNMoney.com, and Business Insurance magazine. He has written articles on insurance and ADR issues that have appeared in a variety of print and electronic publications, including Forbes.com.
- Is a leader in the firm’s representation of states and Indian tribes in their pursuit of claims against the opioid manufacturers, distributors, and pharmacy retailers for their roles in creating and fueling the nationwide opioid crisis.
- Headed the firm’s representation of a client in two lawsuits and one ADR proceeding concerning alleged environmental contamination at multiple sites and negotiated settlements totaling eight figures with several of the insurers involved.
- Successfully appealed a federal district court ruling in a legal fee dispute and then successfully appealed the district court’s ruling on remand in the same case.
- Settled a claim against a state insurance guaranty fund for the largest amount ever paid by that guaranty fund on a single policyholder claim.
- Helped several insulation contracting companies recover several hundred million dollars each in insurance proceeds to pay asbestos claims.
- In a pro bono matter, secured a substantial six-figure settlement for a client who was harmed by a case worker in an outpatient drug treatment program.
- 1987–1988 — Keio University, Tokyo, Japan
- Monbusho Fellow
- 1987 — J.D., Columbia University Law School
- Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar
- 1984 — B.A. (economics), University of Maryland
- cum laude
- Phi Beta Kappa (scholastic)
- Omicron Delta Kappa (leadership)
- District of Columbia
- New York
- Cherokee Nation
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
Professional Affiliations and Honors
- Washington, DC Super Lawyer, 2013-2018
- Recognized by bankruptcy judge for exceptional service to client and court in resolving chapter 11 reorganization case
- Director, Reneo Consulting LLC
- Board Member, American Friends of Hebrew University, Mid-Atlantic Region
- Outside General Counsel, Swann Foundation for Music Education
- Board Member, Eruv Committee for Bethesda, Maryland
- Former Board Member, The China Fund, Inc.