Hunter Winstead is an experienced litigator who represents clients in commercial disputes, corporate bankruptcy and insolvency matters, and other civil complex litigation.
Hunter has represented companies, creditors’ committees, post-bankruptcy trusts, directors and officers, and other individuals and entities in insurance, bankruptcy, receivership, professional liability, and other types of litigation. He focuses his practice on representing policyholders in litigation, arbitration, and other proceedings involving insurance coverage disputes under commercial general liability, directors and officers, errors and omissions, aviation, and professional liability policies.
Hunter maintains an active pro bono practice at the firm. In addition to serving as a Trustee for the Washington Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights and Urban Affairs, he has represented a fair housing advocacy group in several matters in which he has successfully secured the defendants’ compliance with the accessibility requirements of the Fair Housing Act and the Americans With Disabilities Act. Hunter has also represented individual pro bono clients in a variety of debt collection, consumer protection, insurance coverage, and family law matters.
- Representing a Fortune 500 company in the automotive sector in litigation that has resulted in the payment of hundreds of millions of dollars in insurance proceeds to compensate claims arising out of alleged exposure to asbestos.
- Representing a receivership for a defunct Chinese corporation in recovering, through mediation and arbitration, millions of dollars in directors and officers insurance proceeds to compensate victims of securities fraud.
- Representing an internationally renowned law firm in recovering, through mediation, hundreds of millions of dollars in professional liability insurance proceeds to fund settlements of multiple litigations alleging malpractice and fraud.
- Representing a pharmaceutical company and certain of its current and former directors in securing insurance proceeds, without litigation, to fund a $75 million settlement of a shareholder derivative action.
- Working with co-counsel to win a jury verdict worth more than $40 million for a food manufacturer seeking general liability insurance coverage for bodily injury claims arising from an alleged product contamination.
- Recovering millions of dollars in insurance proceeds for corporate clients, without litigation, to address environmental contamination claims, including clean-up costs for CERCLA and Superfund sites.
- Obtaining a multi-million recovery through arbitration against a law firm based upon claims of malpractice and breach of fiduciary duty.
- Representing an official committee of borrowers in a Chapter 11 bankruptcy case filed by one of the country’s ten largest home mortgage originators.
- Representing a Chapter 7 bankruptcy trustee in litigation to avoid a bankrupt debtor’s preferential transfers to creditors.
- 2003 – J.D., University of Virginia School of Law
- 2000 – B.A., University of Virginia
- District of Columbia
Professional Affiliations and Honors
- Washington Lawyer’s Committee For Civil Rights and Urban Affairs, Associate Trustee, 2008-2014; Trustee 2014–Present