Emily represents corporate and individual clients in federal and state courts on a wide range of complex commercial litigation and insurance recovery matters. In addition, at Gilbert LLP’s subsidiary law firm, Reneo Consulting LLC, Emily advises U.S. and foreign businesses on trade and investment opportunities in Cuba.
Emily has an active pro bono practice. She has played a key role in securing the release of multiple U.S. citizens unjustly imprisoned in foreign countries. Her clients include Alan Gross, an American jailed in Cuba from 2009 to 2014 for his work on a U.S. Government project to increase Internet access in Cuba’s Jewish community, and Amir Hekmati, a former U.S. Marine imprisoned in Iran from 2011 to 2016 on false charges of espionage.
Prior to joining Gilbert LLP, Emily served as a law clerk to the Honorable Ronald L. Buckwalter, United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.
Complex Litigation and Insurance Recovery:
- Secured high-value settlements with various insurance companies on behalf of bankruptcy trusts created for the benefit of personal injury claimants.
- Represented a class of policyholders against a major life insurance company accused of violating its contracts.
- Advised private equity firm regarding coverage litigation and settlement strategy in anticipation of leveraged buyout of industrial equipment maker.
- Secured coverage for claims arising from allegedly tainted peanut butter on behalf of a Fortune 500 food company.
International Business Transactions (through Reneo Consulting LLC):
- Advises and advocates on behalf of U.S. businesses pursuing trade and investment opportunities in Cuba.
- Identifies domestic and foreign governmental compliance issues and secures necessary authorizations for Cuba-related transactions, including U.S. Department of Treasury and Commerce licenses.
- Executed the first import of Cuban goods to the U.S. in over fifty years.
- 2009 – J.D., University of Michigan Law School
- 2005 – B.A., Hamilton College
- cum laude
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
Professional Affiliations and Honors
- Washington Lawyers’ Committee For Civil Rights and Urban Affairs, Associate Trustee, 2013 – Present
- Firm Coordinator, Legal Aid Society for the District of Columbia Generous Associates Campaign, 2013 – Present
- Selected as a Washington, DC Rising Star (Super Lawyers), 2015-2018